Thursday, December 8, 2011

advent



One of the things I grieve about wintertime is the color that seems to go out of the world. Everything turns from deep green and floral gems to cold whites and blues and lots of brown. Christmastime brings more green back for a bit. It's a short respite in the long wash out.

I'm thinking more about the reality behind the buzzing and blinking and rushing that has always accompanied this time of year for me. I'm remembering the waiting silence that preceded God's entrance into the world. Incarnation has become an important word for me. It's an invitation to come and be present in the midst of a world gone mad. Long ago, in a place no one could have expected, Jesus came to be among us. He came simply and scandalously and dared us to notice. So I'm noticing. Each day, I'm straining to listen to his voice and participate in his coming that is still unfolding.

Come, Lord Jesus. Come here into this cold and barren place and make your home with me. Come with life and peace and the deep, deep green of your love.

10 comments:

  1. Honestly T...you help me practice the presence.

    I'm pretty sure I speak for many.

    Thank you.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that means a lot to me marcia. when i write it helps me to practice God's presence too.

    danny: love you kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see I'm not the only one who thought of the word "presence" in relation to this post.

    Advent: a season of preparation. Of waiting. Because what else is there to do in the winter but wait?

    As long as the season can be, I'm glad that God gives us the chance to wait for Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing, Terri, love the thought of "listening out loud", There's nothing more important than practicing the Presence of Christ in You, the hope of Glory....

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes kirsten. waiting is good. and you've got a couple kinds of waiting going on! can't wait for your new arrival into the world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey willijean...you kind of snuck in there while i was posting a comment. welcome! so glad to have you listening with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my, yes, we are in the same frame of mind. i love this (and everything else you write)...

    ReplyDelete