Tuesday, December 20, 2011

cheating death


Last night we had no hot water or heat. But it's a little more complicated than that. We're having some work done in our basement and the gas was turned off for a while yesterday. When they hooked it up again, no one realized that the pilots for the boilers were out. Gas was leaking into our home little by little for many hours. Providentially, in our efforts to "fix it" we turned the gas off (thinking we were turning the heat back on). It was a cold night, but if we hadn't done that I'm thinking we might have all died in our sleep. Seven of us with three dogs...all gone. Poof. (Or bang.) 

This is going to sound weird, but I love these little brushes with death. It wakes me up from my tendency to sleepwalk through my life. Last week my good friends and their two kids were in their car when another vehicle blew through a stop sign and very nearly hit them. We might have been mourning their deaths or serious injuries but for a few precious seconds. I'm deeply grateful that they are still here with us. I'm glad I'm alive today too. 

Each of us every day walks a little tightrope through lives that will end someday. We don't know how or when. Each moment is a usually unnoticed gift, unopened and unappreciated. I'm opening this gift today and thanking God. And I'm inviting you to do the same. Aren't you glad you're alive? The sun is shining outside and I almost hear angel footfalls around me. It's good to be here, to be breathing and living one more day. 




12 comments:

  1. I am glad you are still alive too, Immanuel couldn't be more real!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Is that the appropriate word? Maybe, maybe not. This is pretty intense. Your experience makes me sing the chorus, "He's got the whole world in His hands. He's got the whole world in His hands."

    I am glad you are still with us Terri! It's interesting how those sort of things make us reflect on the here and now. This makes me think about my anger at my parents right now. I love them dearly, but have been irritated at them for a few days. I love them Terri, despite themselves.

    But, sometimes I just get tired of that condescending "so what are you gonna do with your life? Your obviously not making any money or doing anything significant that we can brag to the neighbors about."

    I had made up my mind to not even go home for Christmas, but your blog does pull the reigns on me. I am stopping to reflect on this. I'm still mad. I'm just thinking now about getting un-mad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so right...knowing that each morning we are "skating away on the thin ice of a new day" as Jethro Tull put it. And still...making beautiful patterns in the frozen water.
    Glad you are still here. Very glad indeed, and glad for the lovely patterns your skates make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE the "each moment is a usually unnoticed gift..." line. you make me smile and become present at the same time. how do you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi tammy. i'm glad you're thinking about your decision as to whether to visit your parents for christmas. no matter what you decide, it's good to be intentional with these things. especially since you say you love them despite some of the ways they've treated you. let me know how the "getting unmad" works out for you. :)

    marcell: dave was reading your comment and he said out loud: "i love marcell. she quoted jethro tull." i love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. dave: i'm so glad i wasn't dead when you got home this morning. what a drag that would have been. and i adore you. did i mention that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tomorrow is my Dad's memorial service. He died Saturday afternoon. I was on a plane flying home from Haiti so when I said good bye before I left that was 'Good Bye'. We need take the time for our family and friends because you do not know when the last time you will see them will be. Have a blessed Christmas Terri and family. I enjoy your blog. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It would have been "a real drag" if you were dead when Dave came home this morning. Ugh. The horror.

    These kinds of could-have-beens are so terribly sobering, throwing into sharp relief how delicate life really is, even though at any given time, most of it bumble and lumber through it so casually. I'm glad God gives these moments for us to notice and remember that each gas-free breath is a gift of grace.

    Though I'm sure you were too cold, I'm glad it means that you are still breathing today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh debby, i'm so sorry for your loss. and so close to christmas. i hope you'll find yourself surrounded by family and friends and lots of good memories. peace to you.

    kirsten: thank you dear. i'm glad too. today was a good day. i woke up irritated by the cold but when i realized what happened i was so relieved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh thank God. SO grateful you're all OK. i've never thought of it this way, but you're so right...i actually love these little brushes with death too. it really does put so much into perspective. so much love to you and that man you (and we all) adore. stay warm and safe. please.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you're safe too Lori. I hated hearing how close you came to disaster, but I'm so glad that we're in this place, grateful for our lives and loves. sorry i missed your text today. that was my big bummer in the midst of my blessed, sunny day.

    ReplyDelete