Wednesday, December 7, 2011

the hand-off


I had the flu or something else equally horrible for the last several days. Today was the first day I was able to haul myself up and get out to run errands and get groceries. I also was able to decorate for Christmas. I'm not really one to go crazy with holiday glitz, but I did it up a little more than usual this year because we'll be having my family's Christmas celebration here for the first time ever.

I feel like this is a signal of a great sweeping shift in my family. Holidays have always been at my parent's place for as long as I can remember, but in recent years it's become quite obvious that the responsibility is taking a toll on them. It's a strange thing when your parents begin to creep up in years and can no longer do the things they've always done before. I feel a little sad and a little panicked about this hand-off. I wonder what it will mean about the future?

It's good to remember that I don't need to be my mother (who is amazing) to host a holiday meal that is meaningful and good. All I have to do is provide a place for all of us to remember together what Christmas is really about. And cook food. Lots of food.


3 comments:

  1. So sorry you've been sick! I'm glad you're feeling yourself again.

    It's wonderful that you will be taking on the Christmas holidays while your parents are still healthy and able to see you shine, as of course, you WILL!

    I bet it's beautiful over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't know it was going to be at your place! you're gunna do great terri. i am always so happy to be in your home, you and dave are great hosts. :) your momma is amazing, but you are your own special amazing too.

    i'm getting really excited!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the encouragement lori. there will be a lot of chipping in and working together so i'm sure it will be fine. i'm afraid my decorated would disappoint most holiday glitters, but i prefer simple to extravagant.

    manda: i love you. :)

    ReplyDelete